Vegetable Kebabs with Pesto Sauce
These vegan kebabs are loaded with Mediterranean vegetables and marinated in pesto before oven baking. The remaining pesto makes a great dipping sauce for serving.Although these kebabs are oven baked, they would also make a great addition to a summer BBQ!
Servings: 6 skewers
- 1 small courgette peeled and sliced into 12x 1cm discs
- 1 small aubergine peeled and sliced into 12x 1cm semi circles
- 1 small red bell pepper deseeded and sliced into 12 bite sized chunks
- 1 small yellow bell pepper deseeded and sliced into 12 bite sized chunks
- 2 medium red onions peeled and sliced into 12 wedges
- 2 portobello mushrooms sliced into 12x 1cm wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
For the pesto
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Cover 6 wooden skewers with water and leave to soak for 20 minutes
- To prepare the pesto, add the basil, garlic, pine nuts, lemon zest, lemon juice and nutritional yeast to a food processor. Blend to form a chunky paste.
- Add the olive oil and season to taste. Blend again to form a pesto sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings if required.
- To prepare the kebabs, tip the diced vegetables into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the minced garlic, olive oil and lemon zest with 2 tablespoons of pesto.
- Pour the pesto marinade over the vegetables. Use your hands to rub the pesto and oil into the vegetables then set aside for 20 minutes to marinade.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, 180° for fan assisted.
- Thread the marinated vegetables onto the prepared skewers, alternating as you go. You will have two pieces of each vegetable per skewer.
- Arrange the skewers across a shallow oven tray and bake for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and slightly caramelised.
- Serve with the remaining pesto sauce.
CNM recommends the use of organic ingredients.