Mushrooms, Chickpeas and Ground Walnuts make excellent meat substitutes and absorb flavour well.
Medicinal Mushroom Pesto
This gorgeous raw mushroom pesto combines the best medicinal mushrooms for the ultimate fungi health boost. It’s gorgeous served up as a dip or like a vegan pate, tossed with rice noodles or stirred through rice for an instant Japanese-style rice pot.
Servings: 4 people
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms
- 50 g maitake mushrooms
- 50 g lions mane, chaga or reishi mushrooms
- 4 tbsp walnuts
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1-2 tsp miso paste
- 1 bunch of flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus a squeeze or two of juice
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Finely chop the mushrooms, walnuts, garlic, miso and parsley leaves until you have a coarse paste, or pulse everything in a food processor until it comes together.
- Season with salt and pepper and the zest of a lemon. Add enough olive oil and a little squeeze of lemon juice to bring everything together.