This stuff is seriously addictive! Serve it with Za’atar Spiced Chickpea Crackers.
- 4 red bell peppers, washed
- 90 ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 90 g raw walnuts
- 100 g chickpeas (garbanzos), cooked and drained
- handful of fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 220°C fan/475°F/Gas 9. Line a baking tray (baking sheet) with baking paper (parchment paper).
- Place the peppers onto the baking tray and lightly drizzle with a little of the olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes or until the peppers are soft and the skin has blistered. You may like to turn the oven to the grill (broiler) setting and finish the peppers off by grilling (broiling) the skins to add a little charcoal flavour.
- Once roasted, remove the peppers from the oven, then immediately place into a bowl and cover with clingfilm (plastic wrap). This will help loosen the skins away from the flesh, making the peppers easier to peel. After 10 minutes, remove the clingfilm from the bowl and using your fingers, begin to peel the skins and seeds away from the flesh. Discard the stalks and seeds then place the flesh of the roasted peppers into a food processor with the garlic and process until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend again until a smooth consistency is reached.
- Taste the muhammara for seasoning and serve with a drizzle of olive oil on top.
CNM recommends the use of organic produce.