These delicious vegan pancakes are prepared with buckwheat flour and topped with sweet caramelised apple pieces and a lightly whipped coconut cream. Perfect for Pancake Day, breakfast or dessert!
Servings: 2 people
For the pancakes
- ¾ cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tbsp cashew butter or other nut butter
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 6 tbsps warm water
- ½ cup almond milk plus extra if required
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Coconut oil for greasing
For the caramelised apples
- 1 medium apple, cored and roughly diced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
For the cream
- ½ cup of chilled coconut cream
- Add the buckwheat flour, cashew butter, baking soda, lemon juice and salt to a food processor.
- Add the ground flaxseed to a small bowl with the warm water and stir to combine. Set aside for a minute to gel.
- Spoon the flax mixture into the food processor and blend everything together to combine.
- Add the almond milk a little at a time, blending until smooth and creamy. The mixture should be thick yet pourable. Add more almond milk if it’s too thick.
- To prepare the apples, add them to a small frying pan with the coconut oil, coconut sugar and cinnamon. Bring to a simmer over a low/medium heat and continue to simmer gently whilst you cook the pancakes. Stir often until golden and caramelised.
- Grease a large frying pan with coconut oil and place over a medium/high heat. Once hot, add roughly two tablespoons worth of pancake batter to the pan forming a thick American style pancake. Repeat with another two tablespoons. Allow the pancakes to sit and start cooking. Once they start to bubble on top and firm around the edges, flip and repeat on the other side. Repeat this process with the remaining batter – you should get 6 pancakes from the mixture.
- Remove the coconut cream from the fridge, transfer to a bowl and whisk until fluffy.
- Top the pancakes with the caramelised apples and whipped coconut cream to serve.
Allergens: Nuts (cashew nuts, almonds). CNM recommends the use of organic ingredients. Recipe and photography by Emma Carter.